The Be – Do – Have Principles
Just for a moment, reflect upon natures way vs human nature’s way via the Acorn-Seed Metaphor:
The essential wisdom of ancient Zen Buddhist teachings can be summarized within the
BE – DO – HAVE Principle.
- Focus on Inner Potential (acorn)
- Purpose-Driven Constant Nurture
- Deeply-Rooted Accomplishments (Oak tree) that outlast the most difficult challenges
- Focus on HAVING (Money / Power / Status / Possessions)
- - “so that I can DO what I want”
- - “so that I can BE happy”
When we overly concentrate our energy and life-force on “Having” – we start to loose perspective of what we “love to DO” and “who we really ARE”. As a result, we take a huge risk of missing our true potentials!
So what can we DO ?
Consider the words of wisdom from Socrates – “Know Thyself” – along with three reflection questions that each one of us needs to answer, and then integrate into our daily lives.